BETO develops and maintains example conceptual design cases with analysis for feedstock production, feedstocks logistics, and conversion to a specific fuel and, where economical, coproduct(s) and biopower. Each design case is based on specific design reports for feedstock technologies and conversion components of the pathway. Design cases provide engineering-based goal-year projections and R&D technical targets based on techno-economic analysis (TEA) across the supply chain accompanied by a whole supply chain sustainability analysis (SCSA) of that configuration. Design cases provide the benchmark against which the current state of technology (SOT) for BETO fuel production pathways is assessed to understand the technology breakthroughs needed to reach ultimate design-case-based technical targets.
The deeper dive Design Case references along with their publication dates are below:
- Design Case: Biochemical Conversion to Hydrocarbon Fuels and Coproducts (2018)
- Design Case: Hydrothermal Liquefaction of Wet Waste to Fuels (2017)
- Design Case: Algal Biomass Production in Open Pond Systems (2016)
- Design Case: In Situ and Ex Situ Catalytic Fast Pyrolysis of Lignocellulosic Biomass to Hydrocarbon fuels (2015)
- Design Case: Combined Algae Processing (2014)
- Design Case: Whole Algae Hydrothermal Liquefaction (2014)
- Design Case: Feedstock Logistics (2014).